Honey Grevillea by Susan Pitjara Hunter
Born circa 1966 into the Alyawarr tribe, Susan Pitjara Hunter is the younger sister of artists Annie, Jessie and Sandy. Susan lives at the outstation of Ampilatwatja in the Utopia region 250kms north east of Alice Springs in the Eastern Desert.
Susan Pitjara Hunter is one of the most gifted artists of this region. She has always had a deep sense of belonging to her country and has remained steadfastly a bush woman as we can see with Honey Grevillea painting.
Her meticulous execution of Women’s Business is rendered with extreme care and respect for her subject matter.
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
- National Gallery of Victoria
- Robert Holmes a Court Collection, Perth
- 1989 – A Myriad of Dreaming. Twentieth Century Aboriginal Art, Westpac Gallery, Melbourne
- 1989 – Utopia Women’s Paintings, the First Works on Canvas, A Summer Project, 1988-89, S. H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney.
- 1989-91 – Utopia – A Picture Story, Tandanya National Aboriginal Cultural Institute, Adelaide
- 1990 – Utopia – A Picture Story – an exhibition of 88 works on silk from the Holmes a Court Collection by Utopia artists which toured Eire & Scotland.
- 1991, 92,93,94,96 – Araluen Centre for the Arts, Alice Springs,NT
- 1997 – Geschichtenbilder, Aboriginal Art Gallery Bahr, Speyer, Germany
- 1999 – Aboriginal Art – Australien heute, Deutsche Welle, Koln, Germany (in co-operation with the Aboriginal Art Gallery Bahr, Speyer)
- 1999 – Australie – Art, Arts d’Australie • Stephane Jacob / J.L. Amsler – Bastille, Paris.
- 2004 – Bilderwelten in Utopia. Holzschnitte und Gemaelde vom Aborigines, Staedtisches Kunstmuseum Spendhaus Reutlingen, Kunstmuseum Bayreuth, Deutschland (in Kooperation mit Aboriginal Art Galerie Bahr, Speyer)
- 2006 – Senior Women of Utopia, GalleryG, Brisbane
- 2006 – Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne
- 2007 – Standing on Ceremony, Tandanya Cultural Institute, Adelaide
- 2007 – Patterns of Power, Art from the Eastern Desert, Simmer on the Bay Gallery, Sydney
- 2007 – Eastern Desert Dreaming – Artists from Utopia, GalleryG, Brisbane
- 2007 – Eastern Desert Song, Brush with Art Festival, Prairie Hotel, Parachilna, South Australia
- 2008 – Power of Place, Tandanya National Aboriginal Cultural Institute Inc., Adelaide
- 2008 – From the Desert to the Sea, Yurlunggar Art, Brisbane
- 2009 – Aboriginal art in Korea, Gong Pyeong Art Space, Seoul, Korea
- 2010 – The Utopia Story Australasian Arts Projects, Singapore
- 2010 – Aboriginal Artists in London June 11 – 13, London, UK
- 2011- Desert Icons, Australasian Arts Projects, Singapore
- 2011 – Utopian Aboriginal Art, Without Pier Art Gallery, Melbourne
- 2012 – Prairie Hotel, Parachilna, South Australia
- 2012 – Aboriginal Artists in London, London, UK
- 2014 – Indigenous Group Show
- 2015 – Aboriginal Art, Wimbledon Village, UK